scientology-reviews-logo

NOTICE: This non-commercial website is NOT affiliated with the Church of Scientology (link).

homeWHERE TO GET HELP: There are now two avenues for Scientology services. Find out what to expect and what...

Most Reviewed Programs

Most Helpful Program Reviews

Reviewed by constant vigilance
"The GAT (Golden Age of Tech) invalidated auditors who were..."

Reviewed by Thoughtful
"In 2008 a friend who was at the Int base..."

Reviewed by Izhar
"This was the worst criminal activity one could expect in..."

Reviewed by Martin Padfield
"For all the pros and cons, the fact is the..."

Reviewed by Maurice
"The six month check for individuals on OT7 is a..."

"My comments are as stated above. Disconnection done by..."

"I have been invalidated and brow beat and crushed many..."

Reviewed by scientology2.0
"GAT was supposed to bring auditor training to a whole..."

Reviewed by Paul Adams
"At the end of 2007 I did a word-by-word, page-by-page..."

Reviewed by eagle
"People associate with each other, and decide to disassociate at..."

Review Detail

David Miscavige Programs
November 04, 2012    
The two suburban libraries that I visit each have about six LRH books (2007 editions) on their shelves, next to Buddhism in the religion category. The choice seems random: Fundamentals of Thought, Evolution of a Science, Self Analysis are fine but what do raw public make of Intro to Scientology Ethics and History of Man? I don't think they get much use, although I borrowed Ethics to read four pages that were blank in my own copy.

Alarm bells ring at the idea of telling librarians to destroy older editions. Yes, lending libraries do dispose of old books to make room for new ones, at their own discretion rather than in obedience from orders from outside. But part of the purpose of institutional libraries is to preserve all editions of an important work so that future scholars will be able to compare and trace the changes. This might not be understood by a guy who never completed high school. It's also an out-point that people who claim to be Scientologists would want to destroy books written by L. Ron Hubbard. Compare this to the attitude of Muslims, who treat a copy of the al-Quran with respect however old and tattered it may become.
Overall rating 

Needed 

Helpful 

Reviewed by Alael November 25, 2012
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (16)

Good idea but botched implementation

The two suburban libraries that I visit each have about six LRH books (2007 editions) on their shelves, next to Buddhism in the religion category. The choice seems random: Fundamentals of Thought, Evolution of a Science, Self Analysis are fine but what do raw public make of Intro to Scientology Ethics and History of Man? I don't think they get much use, although I borrowed Ethics to read four pages that were blank in my own copy.

Alarm bells ring at the idea of telling librarians to destroy older editions. Yes, lending libraries do dispose of old books to make room for new ones, at their own discretion rather than in obedience from orders from outside. But part of the purpose of institutional libraries is to preserve all editions of an important work so that future scholars will be able to compare and trace the changes. This might not be understood by a guy who never completed high school. It's also an out-point that people who claim to be Scientologists would want to destroy books written by L. Ron Hubbard. Compare this to the attitude of Muslims, who treat a copy of the al-Quran with respect however old and tattered it may become.

Where I stand on key issues

I am a
Independent Scientologist
The leader of the Church of Scientology, David Miscavige, is a...
Suppressive person (sociopath)

Pros and Cons (optional)

Pros
Any LRH data that can be got into the hands of the public is a good thing.
Better than the old line that no-one should read a book without paying.
Cons
Placement of books needs to be done intelligently, by choosing the introductory boooks and 2-way comm with the librarian to find what the users of that library want.
Donations for this purpose must be voluntary, and the Church must be accountable for how they are spent.
Destroy books? Over my dead body!
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account