scientology-reviews-logo

NOTICE: This non-commercial website is NOT affiliated with the Church of Scientology (link).

homeWHERE TO GET HELP: There are now two avenues for Scientology services. Find out what to expect and what...

Most Reviewed Programs

Most Helpful Program Reviews

Reviewed by constant vigilance
"The GAT (Golden Age of Tech) invalidated auditors who were..."

Reviewed by Thoughtful
"In 2008 a friend who was at the Int base..."

Reviewed by Izhar
"This was the worst criminal activity one could expect in..."

Reviewed by Martin Padfield
"For all the pros and cons, the fact is the..."

Reviewed by Maurice
"The six month check for individuals on OT7 is a..."

"My comments are as stated above. Disconnection done by..."

"I have been invalidated and brow beat and crushed many..."

Reviewed by scientology2.0
"GAT was supposed to bring auditor training to a whole..."

Reviewed by Paul Adams
"At the end of 2007 I did a word-by-word, page-by-page..."

Reviewed by eagle
"People associate with each other, and decide to disassociate at..."

Review Detail

David Miscavige Programs
November 04, 2012    
I had insight into this campaign, but do not want to disclose the location. I will note what I observed: Libraries were bombarded by Scientologists forcing donations on them. The ones in my area became fed up, as they were forced, as part of accepting the books, to go on camera and be filmed gratefully accepting the books. Many of them became fed up, and rejected the books. Some accepted the books just to get the Scientologists off their backs, and then discarded them later. Both public and staff were hard core pressured to buy sets, which corporate Scientology then passed off as "donations" from Bridge Publications, when in fact, they had been donations from individual staff and public who had paid for them. This was deceptive and dishonest. The normal thing for donations to libraries is for the name of the individual who paid for, or owns the material, to be acknowledged as a donor.

So Bridge Publications and corporate Scientology were claiming credit as being donors, when in fact they were not, but the individuals who paid for them were.

Then, to make matters worse - libraries who were targeted in the campaign were told they had to dispose of any and all existing Scientology books in their collections, and replace them with the new Basics - many libraries did not want to comply with this.

The campaign generated more ill-will, because of all the badgering of libraries and library staff, who are not used to this sort of thing, and the poor public and staff were milked to the bone to buy up sets.

This is a campaign that could have been done so differently, but because of the heavy and harsh enforcement, it went completely south. It ended up as deceptive, a scam, and an epic fail.
Overall rating 

Needed 

Helpful 

Reviewed by eagle November 11, 2012
Top 10 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (23)

Enforced donations

I had insight into this campaign, but do not want to disclose the location. I will note what I observed: Libraries were bombarded by Scientologists forcing donations on them. The ones in my area became fed up, as they were forced, as part of accepting the books, to go on camera and be filmed gratefully accepting the books. Many of them became fed up, and rejected the books. Some accepted the books just to get the Scientologists off their backs, and then discarded them later. Both public and staff were hard core pressured to buy sets, which corporate Scientology then passed off as "donations" from Bridge Publications, when in fact, they had been donations from individual staff and public who had paid for them. This was deceptive and dishonest. The normal thing for donations to libraries is for the name of the individual who paid for, or owns the material, to be acknowledged as a donor.

So Bridge Publications and corporate Scientology were claiming credit as being donors, when in fact they were not, but the individuals who paid for them were.

Then, to make matters worse - libraries who were targeted in the campaign were told they had to dispose of any and all existing Scientology books in their collections, and replace them with the new Basics - many libraries did not want to comply with this.

The campaign generated more ill-will, because of all the badgering of libraries and library staff, who are not used to this sort of thing, and the poor public and staff were milked to the bone to buy up sets.

This is a campaign that could have been done so differently, but because of the heavy and harsh enforcement, it went completely south. It ended up as deceptive, a scam, and an epic fail.

Where I stand on key issues

I am a
ex-Scientologist

Pros and Cons (optional)

Cons
Where do I start? This was such a bad campaign, from so many angles - what it did to the staff, the public who were hard sell marketed to, the image of Scientology in Libraries (more on that in my comments), and so many other things.
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account