scientology-reviews-logo

NOTICE: This non-commercial website is NOT affiliated with the Church of Scientology (link).

homeWHERE TO GET HELP: There are now two avenues for Scientology services. Find out what to expect and what...

Most Helpful Book Reviews

Reviewed by justme
"The original "What is Scientology" book was not published in..."

Reviewed by Bob Grant
"This book has always been to me the 'Scientology Bible'...."

Reviewed by Richard Kaminski
"An appalling vanity production. Don't waste your money. ..."

Reviewed by beanstalk
"The size and weight of this book make it pretty..."

Reviewed by Thoughtful
"When the book was designed, David Miscavige directed that it..."

Reviewed by Thoughtful
"Released on May 9th, 1950, this is the handbook, still..."

Review Detail

Scientology: A History of Man
Scientology Books
October 13, 2012    
This book is the first Scientology book, riding on the heels of Handbook for Preclears (primarily a Dianetics book, but the first to bring up the subject of Scientology) and diving headlong into the topics of Whole Track, Thetans and auditing with the aid of the E-Meter.
Originally titled 'What to Audit,' the book presents a number of incidents commonly found by auditors when past lives were contacted in auditing. In this regard, it makes a good companion piece to 1958's 'Have You Lived Before This Life?' which presents cases of individual incidents contacted in past lives during auditing.
What the book is saying is, 'Here is a list of commonly found incidents on the whole track. Here are some hypotheses/theories behind them and other phenomena connected with them. Whether they are real, or dub-in, is irrelevant, as is whether or not you believe they exist (although the appearance of these incidents independently and commonly in whole track auditing lends support to the idea that these are real). It has been found, and you will find, that application of this material produces case gain.'
The book has been mangled over the years by misunderstanding. L. Ron Hubbard's first son later claimed to have written the book himself while high on Benzedrine (an assertion unsupported by the preponderance of evidence). When this book was originally produced, it was but a small booklet, inexpensively produced, and meant to accompany a number of other small, inexpensive publications (Electropsychometric Auditing, The Individual Track Map, etc.) and lectures by LRH bridging the gap in development between Handbook for Preclears and History of Man. As such, it represents only a small part of a much larger body of data which is typically not encountered outside of Academy training (correct me if I am wrong on this).
If you were to go the modern Church's route, chronologically reading and studying 'The Basics,' this is where the gradient bugs. I would actually recommend taking this book on after gaining a good understanding of Scientology as found in Fundamentals of Thought and Scientology 8-8008 first. An interesting historical side note, the publication of this book marked the departure of legendary science fiction guru Forry Ackerman from the Dianetics and Scientology movement.
Overall rating 

Wow factor 

Informative 

Easy to understand 

Usefulness 

Reviewed by JohnSChristen March 28, 2013
Top 50 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (3)

The Most Misunderstood LRH Book

This book is the first Scientology book, riding on the heels of Handbook for Preclears (primarily a Dianetics book, but the first to bring up the subject of Scientology) and diving headlong into the topics of Whole Track, Thetans and auditing with the aid of the E-Meter.
Originally titled 'What to Audit,' the book presents a number of incidents commonly found by auditors when past lives were contacted in auditing. In this regard, it makes a good companion piece to 1958's 'Have You Lived Before This Life?' which presents cases of individual incidents contacted in past lives during auditing.
What the book is saying is, 'Here is a list of commonly found incidents on the whole track. Here are some hypotheses/theories behind them and other phenomena connected with them. Whether they are real, or dub-in, is irrelevant, as is whether or not you believe they exist (although the appearance of these incidents independently and commonly in whole track auditing lends support to the idea that these are real). It has been found, and you will find, that application of this material produces case gain.'
The book has been mangled over the years by misunderstanding. L. Ron Hubbard's first son later claimed to have written the book himself while high on Benzedrine (an assertion unsupported by the preponderance of evidence). When this book was originally produced, it was but a small booklet, inexpensively produced, and meant to accompany a number of other small, inexpensive publications (Electropsychometric Auditing, The Individual Track Map, etc.) and lectures by LRH bridging the gap in development between Handbook for Preclears and History of Man. As such, it represents only a small part of a much larger body of data which is typically not encountered outside of Academy training (correct me if I am wrong on this).
If you were to go the modern Church's route, chronologically reading and studying 'The Basics,' this is where the gradient bugs. I would actually recommend taking this book on after gaining a good understanding of Scientology as found in Fundamentals of Thought and Scientology 8-8008 first. An interesting historical side note, the publication of this book marked the departure of legendary science fiction guru Forry Ackerman from the Dianetics and Scientology movement.

Where I stand

I am a...
Independent Scientologist

Pros and Cons (optional)

Pros
Concise. Very interesting. Highly unusual.
Cons
Not easy to understand without a firm grasp of Dianetics and Scientology. Commonly subjected to ridicule.

Bottom line...

Recommend it to a friend?
No
Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

Already have an account? or Create an account